The Upper Shannon Erne Future Economy project (USEFE) is a joint initiative between Bord Na Mona, the ESB and Cavan, Leitrim, Longford and Roscommon Local Authorities and businesses across the region. The initiative enables business and community representatives to proactively influence and assist with the broader economic development of this region. The key aims of USEFE are to:
- Identify sectoral partnerships and linkages whose development might create wealth opportunities for local economies
- Develop projects of regional significance which can lead to new business and job creation opportunitie
- Provide opportunities to help attract skilled employees to the region
- Develop networking opportunities for businesses that can lead to new markets and potential partners
- Build relationships between public and private enterprises, micro and large enterprises
The Governance structure of USEFE is as follows:
- The USEFE Steering Group consists of the Chief Executives of the six financial partners (Cavan, Leitrim, Longford and Roscommon Local Authorities, Bord Na Mona and ESB). The role of this group is to ensure governance and oversight, and to provide strategic direction on an on-going basis. The group also provide the key link between the regional initiatives and national policy makers and influencers.
- The USEFE Operational Management Group consists of members appointed by the Chief Executives on behalf of their organisation. The role of this group is to develop an action-plan, oversee its delivery and support the work of the sectoral groups to ensure worthwhile high impact projects are delivered.
- USEFE is run on a not for profit basis and is financially supported by the Local authorities of Cavan, Leitrim, Longford and Roscommon, along with Bord na Mona and the ESB. Partner contributions towards the project are used to employ a Project Coordinator who co-ordinates sub-groups in key market sectors.